Learn about Sauvignon Blanc! In this video, Eric Taylor (Bottles wine guru) discusses flavor and aroma profiles in Sauvignon Blanc from major wine regions. Find out some of his favorite wines in the store, and get food pairing ideas from Ben Lloyd, chef at The Salted Slate in Providence (we’re neighbors!).
Curious about wine? Subscribe to our YouTube channel!
We love pairing farm-fresh foods with wines, as the ingredient comes into season here in Rhode Island. The other week we had asparagus and Grüner Veltliner (so good!), and this week we’re enjoying arugula with Sauvignon Blanc.
Nick, the Bottles Wine Director, was invited to Allens Farm and The March Hare, to meet with Darius Salko. Darius gave us a fun-filled tour of the Westport, MA farm, and we were lucky enough to taste super-fresh pea greens, mustard leaves, and more. Read this special post devoted to our visit to the farm!
- Allens Farm grows certified organic herbs, greens, vegetables and flowers in nearby Westport.
In Season Now
May – November
Arugula is a flavor-packed leafy green that is comes into season in Rhode Island during spring. Its spicy, peppery qualities make it a tasty addition or main component in salads, or even tossed with warm pasta, crispy pancetta, cream, and parmesan! Our favorite arugula salad is with balsamic vinegar and extra virgin olive oil.
Sauvignon Blanc is crisp, tart, mineral-driven, zippy, and herbaceous. Because Babich Sauvignon Blanc is from New Zealand, it has a bright, citrus component that soothes the pepper of the arugula. Sauvignon Blanc is ideal summer wine; serve it nice and chilled!
Recommended Wine: Babich Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc
- New Zealand winemaking began in the late 1800s with Croatian immigrants.
- New Zealand wineries like Babich began making a name for themselves in the 1980s with Sauvignon Blanc.
- More about Babich Sauvignon Blanc at www.babichwines.co.nz
- Learn about New Zealand wine at this great website: www.nzwine.com